[Olsr-users] G1 / Linksys WRT demo

marc fawzi (spam-protected)
Fri Jan 15 20:01:30 CET 2010

> <<
> Remember: Wi-Fi is two-ways. So if you are "high" power on the sender, so
> must be the clients.

What I'm not clear about is if the signal from the phone could be made more
detectable to te WRT if the WRT is preceded by a 2-way signal booster (i.e.
a "booster" for outgoing signal and an "amplifier" for incoming signal).
Unless I'm missing something, this should extend the distance the phone can
be from the given WRT without having to boost/amplify the outgoing/incoming
signal on the phone itself.  This maybe more easily accomplished by using a
passive extender antenna but inserting an active amplifier/booster between
the WRT and a passive extender antenna should extend the range even further,
no? I guess what I want to know is if having an active wifi signal
amplifier/booster between the WRT and a passive extender antenna would
extend the distance the phone can be from the WRT more than using a passive
extender antenna alone? I've never done this before, so the question is not
rhetorical and I could be missing something.

<<

> But - in general it makes *much* more sense to have whispering / quiet
> senders but very good and directional antennas. It makes more sense for
> Wi-Fi to have lots of quiet devices distributed all over the neighborhood.

This makes sense. So scratch the tower strategy.

We would just use lots of WRTs distributed throughout the neighborhood with
passive extender antennae -- and possibly active 2-way signal
amplifier/booster per each, if the latter can actually work...? (same
question from above)