[Olsr-users] G1 / Linksys WRT demo

L. Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Fri Jan 15 19:23:53 CET 2010

On Jan 15, 2010, at 7:06 PM, marc fawzi wrote:

> Thanks for the tips guys!
>
> Mitar:
>
> It's just an experiment to for now.
>
> The experiment after it is to build some sort of tower based on the Linksys WRT54GL but with higher power (will have to investigate ways to amplify the output and reception thru some dumb signal booster) This maybe entirely naive so you guys can tell me. The main question is can the signal from the phone be extended by having it be detected by a powerful WRT54GL based tower? This way the phones would have the LAN and air interfaces and my hope is that they'd use the LAN interface if the signal from the tower is detectable, and only use the air interface if it's not.

Remember: Wi-Fi is two-ways. So if you are "high" power on the sender, so must be the clients.
But - in general it makes *much* more sense to have whispering / quiet senders but very good and directional antennas. It makes more sense for Wi-Fi to have lots of quiet devices distributed all over the neighborhood.

> The big carrot is to be able to have some sort of ad-hoc mobile network in operation on a limited scale in some section of some neighborhood in Seattle and then start a local group for people (geeks) who are like me fascinated by the concept of an ad-hoc mobile network.
>
> Wifi maybe very power hungry right now but I have a feeling that it will become less power hungry as the cpu, wifi and battery technologies evolve.

Indeed, there are chips which can compete with GSM already (quoting Markus on this one).