[olsr-dev] auto ip address assignment

Andreas Tønnesen (spam-protected)
Mon Apr 24 09:55:17 CEST 2006

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the motivating scenario ;-) But let me start of by saying that
olsrd is not only my child now - it is the work of a lot of fine people
from around the world!
As for the IP autoconfig part I agree that this is probably the most
important part left to create a plug-n-play mesh solution. But I think
that there is no need to make a complicated solution(like the one in my
thesis) quite yet in community networks. I'd like a KISS solution and I
have suggeted using good ol' DHCP with olsrd forwarding reqs/resps(due to
lack of multicast/broadcast). However, one might consider creating a new
distributed solution mainly based on weak/passive-DAD much like the
NOA-OLSR suggestion. In our networks (or rather your networks since I
don't use olsrd ;-) ) MPR forwarding is basically disabled so there is no
need for all the stuff in the NOA draft IMO. What I would like however is
for the configuring node to send an active "warning" of the IP it is
planning to use so that the solution actually has a active side as well.
Still, I am in the process of moving from one city to another,
redecorating a new house and selling our old appartment so there is really
no time for olsrd coding right now. But given some time I might give it a
shot if nobody else does.

- Andreas