[olsr-dev] auto ip address assignment

Jens Nachtigall (spam-protected)
Wed Apr 5 10:23:42 CEST 2006

> > I think in the freifunk firmware, which most
> > meshes use, also the MPRs are switched off, i.e. every node behaves linke
> > an
> > MPR. So the hierarchie is flat. This is because, the MPR idea did not
> > work out.
>
> I didn't know that... it sounds quite frustrating. MPR seemed to be a good
> idea...

Yes, MPRs seem to be one of these ideas which work out nicely in theory, but
once the code is there and you start experimenting in a real world mesh, it
did not work out that nicely. But for your ip auto stuff this is actually
good news, because the duplicate ip address detection becomes much easier,
because every node (not only MPRs) sends link state (i.e. topology) messages,
so you get the seq. number plus its originators ip address from every node.
so the ideas of pacman are easier to implement. Anyway, if you have a good
auto ip generation (ie hashing from the mac addr) the detection will be used
rarely. But i would not wait for the best of all ideas, just start something,
we test it in reality, and then it goes forward in small steps.

jens