[olsr-dev] auto ip address assignment

Dan Flett (spam-protected)
Tue Apr 4 00:53:36 CEST 2006

I strongly believe that a decent, working implementation of auto address
assignment for OLSR will cause a revolution in the popularity of mesh
networking.

Imagine a pure "black box" mesh node - you just power it up and instantly
you have a self-configured mesh node. Without needing any general or
specific knowledge about networking - the intelligence is all inside the
black box. Lack of knowledge and unwillingness to learn are at present
barriers to participation in a mesh network.  If it was made super-easy then
the only barrier would be willingness to participate.

Revolutions in the uptake in technology have been caused not by the
invention of the technology, but by making the technology the most
user-friendly possible.  I'd love to see a mesh network node that simply has
an on/off switch - making it a household appliance and easily understood by
the mainstream population.

Cheers,

Dan

View my blog: