[olsr-dev] auto ip address assignment

Pitu (spam-protected)
Mon Apr 3 18:16:09 CEST 2006

2006/4/3, Jens Nachtigall <(spam-protected)>:

> > We've thought that using any existing implementation could be a good
> idea
> > (like PACMAN <http://sourceforge.net/projects/pacman-autoconf/>).
>
> I had a look at PACMAN a year ago, it is not working with the current
> olsrd
> release, also it only works on linux. But the ideas of pacman as described
> in
> the paper, are quite good, if I remember right. So if were you, i would
> read
> that paper and reimplement these ideas all from scratch in a olsrd plugin.
> The algos in the paper are enough to get it working, afaikr.

Yes, it's the path that we would follow. PACMAN works as a daemon such that
olsrd is not aware of his existence (as far as I'm concerned). The idea was
to turn this code into an olsrd plugin in order to work closely with olsrd.

Please also note, that nobody uses the original olsr-rfc-protocol, but
> rather
> the enhancements like etx. I think in the freifunk firmware, which most
> meshes use, also the MPRs are switched off, i.e. every node behaves linke
> an
> MPR. So the hierarchie is flat. This is because, the MPR idea did not work
> out.

I didn't know that... it sounds quite frustrating. MPR seemed to be a good
idea...

Good luck on implementing. Rather get started, there are already so many
> papers on meshes, but code is rare ;-)
>
> All the best,

Thanks!

Pitu.