[Olsr-users] Configuration of an ad-hoc mesh networks

Charles Lesire-Cabaniols (spam-protected)
Tue Oct 13 10:22:56 CEST 2015

Ok, thanks for the answer... but you're talking to a newb, so please be
more precise ;).
Here are my questions:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Charles Lesire-Cabaniols
> <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I am completely new to OLSR, and I would like to configure my network
> for a
> > multirobot application.
> > I have one Rapsberry PI2 on each robot, running Ubuntu 14.04.
> >
> > I would like to configure my RPi to use OONF (olsrd2), but I am not sure
> > have done the correct setup.
> > Here is the way I have proceeded and my questions:
> >
> > 1- On each node (two for the moment), I built OONF.
> > 2- I configured the wlan interface of each node to connect in ad-hoc
> mode to
> > a common ESSID:
> > sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc essid mambo
> > 3- I configured the IP address of each node on the WLAN:
> > sudo ifconfig wlan0 169.254.0.x up
> > where x is the node number (here 1 and 2 resp.)
> >
> > Question: Looks like setting up the IP is not necessary with olsrd2
> > (according to the doc), but without I could ping my nodes; what is the
> good
> > configuration to set?
>
> If you want to run your interfaces with linklocal addresses, olsrd2
> (in dualstack mode with IPv6) can do this for you.
>
> BUT you need at least one routable (not linklocal) address on one
> interfaced used by olsrd2... in a multi-interface scenario this can be
> the loopback interface.

And so? I tried to set a static address for my loopback in
network/interfaces, but it is not taken into account.
And when I launch "olsrd2_static wlan0 lo", nothing specific happens in
"route -n"

> > 4- I launched 'olsrd2_static wlan0' on each node
>
> With a single mesh interface you should set a routable address to the
> interface, otherwise only NHDP (and not OLSRv2) will work.
>
> > 5- I could ping the other node but I don't know how to test further...
> >
> > Question: Is there a test I could make to see if routing is effectively
> > using olsrd2?
>
> With routable addresses you see more entries in your routing tables,
> especially if you have at least three nodes (and two of them don't see
> each other).
>
> > 6- Question: Is there a way to retrieve the network information (the
> network
> > graph for instance) from oonf?
> > I have seen the netjson plugin mentionned on the doc, but I don't know
> how
> > to configure and launch it...
>
> all the necessary plugins (nhdpinfo, olsrv2info netjson) are already
> part of the olsrd2 executable and need no configuration (as long as
> you want to connect to them from the same device).
>
> Connect to 127.0.0.1 port 2009 and you get a telnet interface where
> you can use "help" and "help <command>" to see what you can do.
>
> I have to see that I add a bit more information about the available
> telnet commands in olsrd2 to the wiki.

Ok, I got it... but the netjsoninfo is empty (collectionrs = []) when my
two nodes look connected