[Olsr-users] Configuration of an ad-hoc mesh networks

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Oct 12 19:05:15 CEST 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Charles Lesire-Cabaniols
<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am completely new to OLSR, and I would like to configure my network for a
> multirobot application.
> I have one Rapsberry PI2 on each robot, running Ubuntu 14.04.
>
> I would like to configure my RPi to use OONF (olsrd2), but I am not sure to
> have done the correct setup.
> Here is the way I have proceeded and my questions:
>
> 1- On each node (two for the moment), I built OONF.
> 2- I configured the wlan interface of each node to connect in ad-hoc mode to
> a common ESSID:
> sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc essid mambo
> 3- I configured the IP address of each node on the WLAN:
> sudo ifconfig wlan0 169.254.0.x up
> where x is the node number (here 1 and 2 resp.)
>
> Question: Looks like setting up the IP is not necessary with olsrd2
> (according to the doc), but without I could ping my nodes; what is the good
> configuration to set?

If you want to run your interfaces with linklocal addresses, olsrd2
(in dualstack mode with IPv6) can do this for you.

BUT you need at least one routable (not linklocal) address on one
interfaced used by olsrd2... in a multi-interface scenario this can be
the loopback interface.

> 4- I launched 'olsrd2_static wlan0' on each node

With a single mesh interface you should set a routable address to the
interface, otherwise only NHDP (and not OLSRv2) will work.

> 5- I could ping the other node but I don't know how to test further...
>
> Question: Is there a test I could make to see if routing is effectively
> using olsrd2?

With routable addresses you see more entries in your routing tables,
especially if you have at least three nodes (and two of them don't see
each other).

> 6- Question: Is there a way to retrieve the network information (the network
> graph for instance) from oonf?
> I have seen the netjson plugin mentionned on the doc, but I don't know how
> to configure and launch it...

all the necessary plugins (nhdpinfo, olsrv2info netjson) are already
part of the olsrd2 executable and need no configuration (as long as
you want to connect to them from the same device).

Connect to 127.0.0.1 port 2009 and you get a telnet interface where
you can use "help" and "help <command>" to see what you can do.

I have to see that I add a bit more information about the available
telnet commands in olsrd2 to the wiki.