[Olsr-users] Configuration of an ad-hoc mesh networks

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Oct 13 10:30:19 CEST 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Charles Lesire-Cabaniols
<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Ok, thanks for the answer... but you're talking to a newb, so please be more
> precise ;).
> Here are my questions:

>> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Charles Lesire-Cabaniols
>> <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>> > Question: Looks like setting up the IP is not necessary with olsrd2
>> > (according to the doc), but without I could ping my nodes; what is the
>> > good
>> > configuration to set?
>>
>> If you want to run your interfaces with linklocal addresses, olsrd2
>> (in dualstack mode with IPv6) can do this for you.
>>
>> BUT you need at least one routable (not linklocal) address on one
>> interfaced used by olsrd2... in a multi-interface scenario this can be
>> the loopback interface.
>

> And so? I tried to set a static address for my loopback in
> network/interfaces, but it is not taken into account.

have a look at the "typical OLSR deployments" page of our wiki (its
linked in the User FAQ)
http://www.olsr.org/mediawiki/index.php/OLSR_network_deployments

when you want to use the "loopback" to store your routable IP, you
need to add it to the list of interfaces for olsrd2:

But this doesn't make much sense with a single Wifi interface...

just set the routable address of each node to wlan0 for now and start
just with "olsrd2_static wlan0".

> And when I launch "olsrd2_static wlan0 lo", nothing specific happens in
> "route -n"

what is your output of "ip addr" ?

> Ok, I got it... but the netjsoninfo is empty (collectionrs = []) when my two
> nodes look connected

It does not look like your two OLSR instances can see each other.

Do you had a look at the "Troubleshooting" page of our wiki (also
linked in the User FAQ)?

http://www.olsr.org/mediawiki/index.php/Troubleshooting