[Olsr-users] Does OLSRv2 support Anycast?

Martin Tippmann (spam-protected)
Thu Dec 31 16:24:45 CET 2015

Hi,

I'm toying around with some IPv6 mesh concepts and came across
464XLAT[1,2] for dealing with IPv4 in IPv6 Networks. As far as I could
figure out data is sent to a NAT64 Prefix  on a gateway (PLAT) that
needs to be known by all nodes in the mesh for doing the CLAT part.

There seems to be no easy solution for having multiple of these
prefixes in the mesh - e.g. multiple VPN servers could announce such a
prefix or ordinary mesh nodes that share their internet connectivity -
there is likely a lot of fluctuation in the mesh and the announced
prefixes would need to be distributed to all nodes.

Would it be possible with OLSRv2 to announce the same NAT64 Prefix on
all PLAT nodes and use anycast routing to send the data to the nearest
node? This would make synchronising prefixes obsolete.

I haven't tested this yet and found no documentation regarding anycast
support for OLSRv2 at all except a sentence in the RFC that it can be
implemented.

Is this possible at all? Is this idea even sound?

regards
Martin

1: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6877
2: https://sites.google.com/site/tmoipv6/464xlat