[Olsr-users] Does OLSRv2 support Anycast?

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Thu Dec 31 17:53:05 CET 2015

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Martin Tippmann
<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm toying around with some IPv6 mesh concepts and came across
> 464XLAT[1,2] for dealing with IPv4 in IPv6 Networks. As far as I could
> figure out data is sent to a NAT64 Prefix  on a gateway (PLAT) that
> needs to be known by all nodes in the mesh for doing the CLAT part.
>
> There seems to be no easy solution for having multiple of these
> prefixes in the mesh - e.g. multiple VPN servers could announce such a
> prefix or ordinary mesh nodes that share their internet connectivity -
> there is likely a lot of fluctuation in the mesh and the announced
> prefixes would need to be distributed to all nodes.
>
> Would it be possible with OLSRv2 to announce the same NAT64 Prefix on
> all PLAT nodes and use anycast routing to send the data to the nearest
> node? This would make synchronising prefixes obsolete.
>
> I haven't tested this yet and found no documentation regarding anycast
> support for OLSRv2 at all except a sentence in the RFC that it can be
> implemented.

Hi,

for olsrd and olsrd2 unicast and anycast prefixes are the same. If
multiple mesh routers announce the same "attached network" prefix, the
nearest prefix (in terms of routing metric) will be used.