[Olsr-users] Accessing OLSR parameters

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Sep 20 10:56:10 CEST 2013

On 09/20/2013 10:49 AM, Shyam B wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> OLSR is working very stable. I am running it on network of RPI's and
> TP-Link routers. So far so good. I am using OLSR only as part of my
> project. Will try to keep post to the point, here are my questions.
>
> 1) I run olsrd deamon by using [sudo olsrd -f /etc/olsrd/olsrd.conf -d
> 1], this starts the deamon in the terminal and shows me all interesting
> parameters, like LQ, ETX, Neighbor Link Quality in real-time.
>     a) However, I want to use python code to get access to these
> parameters OLSR provides. Is there an API I can directly access, or
> something I can make use of in real-time. An neat example will be helpful.
>     b) I would like to run this deamon in silent mode

You can use the Txtinfo or JSONinfo plugin for this. They open a port
where you can query the internal databases of the routing agent.

> 2) Consider node A entering the region of node B. They update their
> routing tables. Since, I am doing this for mobile nodes, I would like
> the update to be as fast, smooth and (as efficient) as possible [in this
> order]. Which parameter(s) should I consider changing in olsrd.conf
> file. Currently it takes, upto 15 seconds for listing in route -n, plus
> 40 seconds to bring ETX from infinity to < 2.0. I have tried changing
> the hello/TC intervals, as I read from RFC, however, I am not able to
> see an immediate difference. Is it still fine to have separate config
> values on all nodes, or should they be the same for best performance.
> For now, on ALL nodes, I have the following config:

Try to remove ALL of the timing settings, change them only if you really
think you need them. In fact, the less configuration you need the better.

Another reason for this "slow ramp up" of ETX is the fixed 32 seconds
queue the ETX metric is working on. Unless you have a highly mobile
network it should be no problem for you.

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE