[Olsr-users] Olsr-users Digest, Vol 75, Issue 2

Teco Boot (spam-protected)
Mon Sep 9 21:53:28 CEST 2013

Op 9 sep. 2013, om 19:17 heeft Shyam B <(spam-protected)> het volgende geschreven:

> Hi Brian/ Others,
>
> Thank you for your help so far. I am closer to the problem, I believe.
>
> To summarize, I am using 2 Raspberry PI's in simple 'Ad-hoc mode', channel 10
Why not channel 1, 6 or 11?

> , same ESSID on both nodes. Setup for one Raspberry PIs, is perfectly identical to the other one (I have crosschecked all parameters).
If "perfectly identical", you will never have connectivity (e.g dup IP addresses, mac addresses etc.).

Please provide all configs (for both RPi's)

> Device: Edimax EW-7811Un (One of the recommended dongle's with RPi - enables Ad-Hoc mode: Ch 01:11)
What is Ch 01:11?

> Device driver does NOT seem to be a problem here.
Please don't shout.
Why are you so certain? If it works, you are OK. If not, there is a problem somewhere.

> I can see the gateway router of OLSR
What is "gateway router of OLSR"?

> with Rpi over wlan0 but NOT another Rpi with same configuration over wlan0.
>
> Ok, first lets DISABLE OLSR, just simple Ad-hoc mode on two RPi's and try to PING each other over wlan0. I am able to do this with RPi and a TP-Link OpenWRT based router in Ad-hoc mode with OR without OLSR.
Can't you test without that TP-link device? It just confuses me.

> E.g. setup:
>
> (spam-protected) ~ $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> auto walnut
> iface wlan0 inet static
>     address 192.168.10.200
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     wireless-channel 10
>     wireless-essid irt-ah-inria
>     wireless-mode ad-hoc
>
> (spam-protected) ~ $ iwconfig wlan0
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"irt-ah-inria"  Nickname:"<(spam-protected)>"
>           Mode:Ad-Hoc  Frequency: 2.457 GHz Cell: 0E:75:4D:3C:D9:3A   Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
>       Tx-Power=20 dBm
>       Retry long limit: 7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
>           Power Management:on
>

> (spam-protected) ~ $ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
> wlan0     Scan completed :
>           Cell 01 - Address: 02:11:87:FA:4A:02
>                     ESSID:"irt-ah-inria"
>                     Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
>                     Mode:Ad-Hoc
>                     Frequency:2.457 GHz (Channel 10)
>                     Encryption key:off
>                     Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
>                               9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
>                               48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
The BSSID's should be the same.
Maybe just configure with something like:
auto    wlan0
iface   wlan0 inet static
        wireless-mode ad-hoc
        wireless-channel 11
        address 192.168.10.200
        netmask   255.255.255.0
        broadcast 255.255.255.255
        up   iw dev wlan0 ibss join "irt-ah-inria" 2462 02:11:87:FA:4A:02

The wireless-* statements are redundant. Doesn't harm, maybe it helps.

> Ip is 192.168.10.200 and broadcast IP is over all subnets: 192.168.255.255
Is wrong. 192.168.10.200/24 would use 192.168.10.255 (or 255.255.255.255 as you configured).

> Conclusion:
> -------------
> Everything is fine uptil this point.
Maybe you made a mistake before this point...

> For the question raised earlier, here is my observation.
>
> (1) I am ABLE to ping between the two RPi via eth0 but not via wlan0 (seems like a layer two issue - hard to believe)!
Don't believe, just find out what's wrong.

> I have multiple RPis and dongles, tested with others - same issue!
> (2) I am able to run OLSR on the eth0 interface - yes, this works. RPi can see each other.
You did not provide any config for the ethernet interfaces. So we can only guess if it should work or should not work.

> (3) I am NOT able to see the other RPi over wlan0.
Just put the interface in monitor and you will see the other RPi.

> IF I am able to 'ping' the two RPi's in simple Ad-Hoc mode (no rocket science), I am sure OLSR must work then (as with eth0)..
> (4) I ran 'arp-scan' to scan the device address over wlan0. This is not able to identify the hw-MAC address of the other RPi wlan0 device.
>
> I am certainly missing something really tiny. This must work! Have spent countless hours figuring what's wrong. Maybe someone's expertise can help me or maybe can do a similar setup.
So you used tcpdump?
Used monitor mode?
There is so much fun to keep you busy ;).

Teco
(mainly offline a few days)