[Olsr-users] Olsr-users Digest, Vol 75, Issue 2

Shyam B (spam-protected)
Mon Sep 9 19:17:06 CEST 2013

Hi Brian/ Others,

Thank you for your help so far. I am closer to the problem, I believe.

To summarize, I am using 2 Raspberry PI's in simple 'Ad-hoc mode', channel
10, *same* ESSID on both nodes. Setup for one Raspberry PIs, is perfectly
identical to the other one (I have crosschecked all parameters).

Device: Edimax EW-7811Un (One of the recommended dongle's with RPi -
enables Ad-Hoc mode: Ch 01:11)
Device driver does NOT seem to be a problem here. I can see the gateway
router of OLSR with Rpi over wlan0 but *NOT* another Rpi with same
configuration over wlan0.

Ok, first lets* DISABLE OLSR,* just simple Ad-hoc mode on two RPi's and try
to PING each other over wlan0. I am *able* to do this with RPi and a
TP-Link OpenWRT based router in Ad-hoc mode *with OR without OLSR*.

E.g. setup:

(spam-protected) ~ $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
    address 192.168.10.200
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    wireless-channel 10
    wireless-essid irt-ah-inria
    wireless-mode ad-hoc

(spam-protected) ~ $ iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"irt-ah-inria"  Nickname:"<(spam-protected)>"
          Mode:Ad-Hoc  Frequency: 2.457 GHz Cell: 0E:75:4D:3C:D9:3A   Bit
Rate:54 Mb/s
      Tx-Power=20 dBm
      Retry long limit: 7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on

(spam-protected) ~ $ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 02:11:87:FA:4A:02
                    ESSID:"irt-ah-inria"
                    Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
                    Mode:Ad-Hoc
                    Frequency:2.457 GHz (Channel 10)
                    Encryption key:off
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
                              9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
                              48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

*Ip is 192.168.10.200* and *broadcast IP *is over all subnets: *
192.168.255.255*

*Conclusion:*
-------------
Everything is fine uptil this point. For the question raised earlier, here
is my observation.

(1) I am ABLE to ping between the two RPi via eth0 but not via wlan0 (seems
like a layer two issue - hard to believe)! I have multiple RPis and
dongles, tested with others - same issue!
(2) I am able to run OLSR on the eth0 interface - yes, this works. RPi can
see each other.
(3) I am NOT able to see the other RPi over wlan0. IF I am able to 'ping'
the two RPi's in simple Ad-Hoc mode (no rocket science), I am sure OLSR
must work then (as with eth0)..
(4) I ran 'arp-scan' to scan the device address over wlan0. This is not
able to identify the hw-MAC address of the other RPi wlan0 device.

I am certainly missing something really tiny. This must work! Have spent
countless hours figuring what's wrong. Maybe someone's expertise can help
me or maybe can do a similar setup.

Thanks in advance,
Shyam

--