[Olsr-users] Olsr-users Digest, Vol 75, Issue 2

Shyam B (spam-protected)
Sun Sep 8 19:14:06 CEST 2013

Hi Henning,

Thank you for your response.

I am trying to let each RPi see the other in the network and communicate
with each other.
The situation right now is that both Raspberry PI's have similar
connectivity, having:
ESSID, Channel 11 (2.457GHz), Ad-Hoc mode.
Each configured to a static IP in the same subnet.

I can see the other node via *iwlist scan* (that is I can sense the other
node in the network, I have tested with different ESSID's to verify).

To your question, I am unable to ping from one node to the other. (Note I
DO NOT have a gateway configured). This is what I am confused on, as to if
I should be able to.

It can communicate with a TP-Link router (which is configured as a router
by default), and packets can go through them.

My question is:
1) Is a gateway required for OLSR to route packets?
2) Right now, i have two (and later several) isolated nodes in the network.
No gateways. Can I not be able to communicate? If not, why not?
3) I have attached the olsr.conf file for the Rpi in the earlier mail.

Any details will certainly help me understand where I am going wrong.

Thanks in advance,
Shyam

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 13:42:46 +0200
> From: Henning Rogge <(spam-protected)>
> To: <(spam-protected)>
> Subject: Re: [Olsr-users] Fwd: Configuring two nodes directly (without
>         a gateway) - OLSR.
>
> Hi,
>
> do you have already checked that you have direct IP connectivity? Can
> you ping the other node over the network?
>
> If you only have two nodes, ping will work with or without OLSR, because
> you can only communicate with 1-hop neighbors without routing protocol.
>
> If you cannot ping the other node, then you have trouble on layer-2
> (wifi) or with your interface configuration.
>
> Henning Rogge
>
> On 09/05/2013 01:36 PM, Shyam B wrote:
> > Hi Al,
> >
> > I am configuring _multiple RaspberryPI's_ as nodes in a mesh network. I
> > don't plan to use routers as gateway. Having installed OLSR on these
> > nodes (currently two to begin with), I am unable to communicate between
> > them.
> > The configuration was working with the routers.
> >
> > _What I did_
> >
> > Exactly same setup on the two nodes:
> > Ad-Hoc mode, Channel 10 with same ESSID.
> > Tried to change hna, Ip4Broadcast to the same subnetwork as well.
> > Nothing works!
> >
> > The iwconfig screenshot and olsrd.conf file attached. I have spent
> > multiple hours trying to get it to work!!
> >
> > It would be of real help if someone can point out if communication
> > between two raw nodes is selected. If not why not, and what do I have to
> > do to make this setup work. Eagerly looking forward!
>
> Henning Rogge
>
> --
> Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut f?r
> Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE
> Kommunikationssysteme (KOM)
> Fraunhofer Stra?e 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
> Telefon +49 228 9435-961,   Fax +49 228 9435 685
> mailto:(spam-protected) http://www.fkie.fraunhofer.de

Best Regards,
Shyam