[Olsr-users] Curious about OLSR on AirOS, compared to OSPF, Quagga

Ben West (spam-protected)
Thu Feb 24 04:05:32 CET 2011

Hi Michel,

My investigation into AirOS has been motivated by experience running OpenWRT
v8.09-derived ROBIN mesh firmware on Bullet2HPs specifically, exposing a
couple problems with madwifi on this type of device:

1. Minstrel rate algorithm ignoring feedback and sticking at particular rate
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/8683 (received wontfix from the developer)
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=25803543 (same bug
reported on madwifi r4133)
http://dev.open-mesh.com/wiki/ng-changelog?version=10 (a possible fix in
OpenWRT ng, r274)

2. "wifi0: transmit timed out," where the ap simply drops connectivity for a
few seconds
http://www.assembla.com/spaces/RobinMesh/tickets/13-netdev-watchdog--wifi0--transmit-timed-out-on-bullet2hp
The response from a moderator on the Ubnt forum to a similar query about
this problem is, "Your device is operating in busy environment and radio
isn't able to transmit any packets to the air. I do recommend to change
channel, channel width and try channel shifting. Also to hear less AP
around, you can decrease TX power as well."
On the ROBIN firmware stack, this happens consistently on Ubiquiti 2.4GHz HP
devices like Bullet2HP and Pico2HP. However, the ROBIN devs make this
problem go away with madwifi by simply compiling their firmware against
OpenWRT v8.09.2 instead of v8.09.1.  So, it appears no elegant solution
exists.

I understand that AirOS kernel version is presently too old (or Ubiquiti's
willingness to respond to feature requests too small) to support dynamic
routing schemes.

Certainly, if OpenWRT + ath5k/ath9k is known to not suffer these problems on
Bullet2HP and M-class devices, I'm interested in looking into it.

Ben West
(spam-protected)