[Olsr-users] Where to start to build a WMN

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Sat Oct 23 11:38:12 CEST 2010

On Saturday 23 October 2010 10:52:56 kadir yüceer wrote:
> Hi there,
> Thanks for the advice. I've read the book and I have created my network
> design.
> Only thing left is to clarify how I'm gonna develop OLSR daemon in windows
> xp and windows mobile. In ReadMe file it says to create a project and
> import all the source code.
OLSRd (the software this mailing list is about) is made of a OS independent
core and a bunch of small OS compatiblity stubs, which do the interact with
the operation system. Just at the moment I have done some work to clean up
this interface in the development branch to make it easier to write more OS
adaptations of OLSRd.

The "only" thing you have to do do adapt OLSRd to a new platform is to write
an implementation for all the OS stubs (you will find their prototypes in the
"src/os_...h" files in the development branch). It's mostly about setting up
sockets, sending and receiving packets, querying the status of interfaces and
setting and removing routes.

It should be possible to do this on any platform you can
a) run a C programm (OLSRd has been written in C)
b) communicate through UDP sockets
c) set and remove IP routes

If c) is not there, it might be to create some userspace routing programm that
does this job by hand, but it will have a poor performance I think.

Henning Rogge
--
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.