[Olsr-users] Hello from Pirate Party Sweden

Mitar (spam-protected)
Sat Nov 6 16:16:48 CET 2010

Hi!

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Erik Lönroth <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> * A weather ballon will explode within the hour (because of expansion)

True.

> * A baloon drifts away.

Depends on the wind. You can also use a long rope.

> * The payload of the baloon is dangerous to get in the head when it falls down.

You use parachute for that. This is quite well documented how you do a
DIY balloon from cheap hardware + weather balloon + parachute and you
get great photos from the edge of the space.

> * A "long term" baloon will hav powering issues.

You can power it over long rope/wire. But then you have lightening problems. ;-)

> * A ballon can easiliy break.

And also can be hit by aeroplane. You do not want killing people.

> 2. Help packaging olsr software to make it "a single click"
> installation for clients that can download this software from the
> baloon.

This would be in general useful.

> The "AIRBORN ANTENNA" will probably have to be alot smaller/lighter,
> as the one above is 3.5kg. Any suggestions?

You could put on top of the balloon light metallic expandable cover,
inside of the balloon receiver/transmitter. And it could be like a
simple dish antenna.

> This week, we will update the openWRT homepage with a very easy to
> follow guide how to get olsr up and running. Possibly patching the
> packages for ubuntu and openWRT to make the installations trivial.
> Thats a good start in order to make develoment and deployment simplistic.

Probably it would be good that you first get hands-on experience
yourself. Before you try to make guides for others. ;-)

Mitar