[Olsr-users] Hello from Pirate Party Sweden

Erik Lönroth (spam-protected)
Sat Nov 6 12:08:50 CET 2010

Hello all and thanx for all good advices!

We have recognized the problems with respect the the  "baloon".

* A weather ballon will explode within the hour (because of expansion)
* A baloon drifts away.
* The payload of the baloon is dangerous to get in the head when it falls down.
* A "long term" baloon will hav powering issues.
* A ballon can easiliy break.

But, those problems are in phase 2.

What we want to have real help with, is how to:

1. Design the olsrd solution as it will be provided by a set of wifi
routers. Some of them on baloons.
2. Help packaging olsr software to make it "a single click"
installation for clients that can download this software from the
baloon.
3. General help with the concept as whole. Our ambitions are to
provide a open network for as many as possible. We don't know how far
we can get, but we will make it as far as we can.

Currently, We have obtained a relatively cheap hardware stack:

WIFI ROUTER: TP-LINK TL-WR741ND
(http://www.tp-link.com/products/productDetails.asp?pmodel=TL-WR741ND)
GROUND ANTENNA: (http://www.microbarn.com/details.aspx?rid=102407)

The "AIRBORN ANTENNA" will probably have to be alot smaller/lighter,
as the one above is 3.5kg. Any suggestions?

Weŕe thinking about planting a "ground" mesh intially, but we are
unsure of how this is best achieved. We want the network to be
roboust.

This week, we will update the openWRT homepage with a very easy to
follow guide how to get olsr up and running. Possibly patching the
packages for ubuntu and openWRT to make the installations trivial.
Thats a good start in order to make develoment and deployment simplistic.

/Erik