[Olsr-users] Hello from Pirate Party Sweden

Mitar (spam-protected)
Thu Nov 4 01:36:43 CET 2010

Hi!

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Erik Lönroth <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> The second goal for this baloon is be modified to survive for a very
> long time, fully operational on its own, powered by solar panels and
> drifting by the wind only.

And how will you bring up batteries with a balloon? Aren't they too heavy?

Or how big balloon do we talk about?

We have a solar powered node:

http://wlan-lj.net/wiki/Tocke/Solar

Which is quite big and heavy (lead batteries) and now, during the
winter time in Slovenia (which is much much more to the south then
Sweden) it already shuts down. You can see the graph of its power
performance (and temperature and other senors could also be attached)
here:

https://nodes.wlan-lj.net/node/solar#graph-solar-monitor

I believe it would be great to also add a camera and do photos from far above.

> Ideally, "the baloon" also provides "old internet" access

What means "old Internet"?

> Anyway, if you think that this is something interesting. We are happy
> to get in contact with people that are experienced in setting up olsrd
> in such a way that it is easy to let users (novice ones) join it with
> as little effort as possible.

We had similar idea already:

http://wlan-lj.net/ticket/768

But not yet went into doing it. But I doubt it is possible to do
self-sustainable one.

> 4. The client-downloads and install the "olrs-software" (which needs
> to be preconfigured etc.) Maybe some "options" are presented as to
> make some easy setup...

For which OS? This is something not yet really available, as far as I
know? An easy to use GUI.

Also IP allocation is problematic. Maybe this mesh could be in IPv6.

But still, if there would only one balloon, why wouldn't it be just a
normal AP? So node in AP mode. When there is signal, users connect to
it and this is it? And use its connectivity?

Because I somehow doubt people would just download and install some
software and use it, just because some balloon told them to. And let
it run after the balloon gets away.

Maybe, for now, it would be better to just concentrate on construction
of this balloon and use normal AP mode. And then if there would me
many such balloons (every country makes its own and then we get
together and play with that some day?) we could start doing mesh.

Mitar