[Olsr-users] G1 / Linksys WRT demo

marc fawzi (spam-protected)
Fri Jan 15 19:06:57 CET 2010

Thanks for the tips guys!

Mitar:

It's just an experiment to for now.

The experiment after it is to build some sort of tower based on the Linksys
WRT54GL but with higher power (will have to investigate ways to amplify the
output and reception thru some dumb signal booster) This maybe entirely
naive so you guys can tell me. The main question is can the signal from the
phone be extended by having it be detected by a powerful WRT54GL based
tower? This way the phones would have the LAN and air interfaces and my hope
is that they'd use the LAN interface if the signal from the tower is
detectable, and only use the air interface if it's not.

The big carrot is to be able to have some sort of ad-hoc mobile network in
operation on a limited scale in some section of some neighborhood in Seattle
and then start a local group for people (geeks) who are like me fascinated
by the concept of an ad-hoc mobile network.

Wifi maybe very power hungry right now but I have a feeling that it will
become less power hungry as the cpu, wifi and battery technologies evolve.

What do you guys think about the setup I'm thinking about?

Thanks :)

Marc