[Olsr-users] OpenWRT Compilation

aaron (spam-protected)
Wed Jun 3 12:28:57 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 10:54:48AM +0100, Ben McCarthy wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am running olsrd on a few Linksys WRT54G3G APs using OpenWRT. In order to
> compile any changes I make to olsr I currently have to recompile the entire

> OpenWRT image and reflash the boxes. Can anyone tell me how I can just cross
> compile olsrd so I can just transfer the executable over and run it please?

easy:
get the packages as described in http://kamikaze.openwrt.org/docs/openwrt.html#x1-390002
cd packages/net/olsrd/
edit the Makefile, change the version string
make package/olsrd/compile V=99

The V=99 is there to see all the compilations steps of make.

Tell me if it worked for you.

> P.S. I am currently running olsrd-0.5.0, I have been contemplating upgrading
> but I read the following in a previous email from Henning:

yes, please upgrade to 0.5.6-r4 and tell us if it works better for you.
There have been many bugfixes and improvements notably by Henning and Markus Kittenberger.

> "..TC retransmission and link timeout, same as OLSRv1... OLSRv2 is NOT a new
> protocol, it's an improvement on the old one in terms of complexity (no
> MID/HNA messages)"

OLSRv2 is going to be a new RFC . So that is not yet implemented in the olsr.org source code basis.

> Has support for HNAs now been completely removed from olsrd? I need them in
> my setup.

no, it is still there.
And HNA s will be simply done differently in OLSRv2 :) But now we are talking about the future.

Physicist are there to find the laws of nature. Engineers are there to work around them