[Olsr-users] AHCP

Robert Keyes (spam-protected)
Wed Feb 25 02:40:29 CET 2009

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Derek C wrote:

> Hi OD,
>
> You mentioned, last month, that you are automatically configuring your
> node's IP addresses based on the MAC address (I think that's what you
> mean).
>
> Would you be able to detail how you do it?  (is it a shell script that
> does it?).
>
> I'm interesting it doing this too if possible to save on having to
> allocate IPs manually - I'm interested to know how you base the IPs on the
> MAC and know that you won't ever have IP duplication.

I don't believe this is possible in IPv4 space. But with a small number of
nodes, you can make it unlikely that there will be IP duplication.

Considering that most devices of recent manufacture can have their MAC
address set, it may be better to modify the MAC address to match the IP
address than the other way around. Doing so also can reduce the IP space
used, and allow for the use of public IP space. Am I making sense? I can
give a more detailed explanation if needed.