[Olsr-users] OLSRd - can't understand routing

Derek C (spam-protected)
Wed Feb 18 21:05:22 CET 2009

Hi all,

Me again.  I'm still testing a smallish network (around 10 nodes but
spread over a couple of KM).

What I've done is put up three nodes with Internet access - the Internet
access is via 5.8Ghz point-to-point links and I've linked eth0 of my OLSRd
(PC engines WRAP boards) to via transparent [tunnel] bridges back to a NIC
on a DELL server running Ubuntu with OLSRd too.

This means that the three nodes all have a single hop to their gateway and
only one gateway - I thought this was a good idea to have no
connection/NAT problems associated with multiple gateways.

Currently all remote nodes are one-hop to an Internet connected node (i.e.
two logical/OLSRd hops to the DELL server in the datacentre).

What I don't understand is this:

If I go into a remote node and do a "netstat -rn" I can see that it has a
default route via a nearby Internet connected node - good stuff - and the
node has Internet access too - perfect!.

BUT If I ssh into the DELL server (the only gateway HNA node) I sometimes
DONT see the remote node's IP in a "netstat -rn" and I cannot ping it
either.

I don't understand how that remote node is actually working and getting
traffic back & forth if the routing is not propagating across the OLSRd
routed network.

I'm not doing any funny stuff with NAT on the remote nodes (other than
NATTing 192.168.0.0/16 so that people get Internet access of a public AP
in the nodes - my OLSRd network is 5.0.0.0/8.

Does the above make any sense to anyone?

thanks v much!

Derek

P.S.
One of my typical remote OLSRd nodes: