[Olsr-users] Suggested OLSR Timer Values

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Feb 13 08:14:48 CET 2009

Am Friday 13 February 2009 05:55:32 schrieb Bhat, Ishwara:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about OLSR timers. My usage mode is such that
>
> 1.	All newly joined nodes shall be known within 1 second.
> 2.	Any node dropped out of network shall be known in 1 second.
> (Mandatory for 1-hop links. Other mesh nodes- 1 sec desired; But can be
> delayed).
> 3.	I have only 4 nodes in this mode, mostly in linear topology.
>
> What is the suggested timer values?
>
> HelloInterval 0.5
> HelloValidity 0.5
> TC Interval  0.5
> TCValidity Interval   0.5
It cannot work this way... set the validity time AT LEAST to 5 times the
corresponding interval.

Try something like this:

HelloInterval 0.2
HelloValidity 2.0
TCInterval 0.5
TCValidity 3

This values will only work for small networks, but they should increase the
speed of node detection and deletion.
Do NOT use etx_ff (it only creates ONE LQ value each second), use etx_fpm as
your lq algorithm.

> When I tested in a 2 node system,
>
> 1.	The hellos seem to work well in recognizing the new nodes.
> 2.	But for loss of any existing node, it appears to take about 5
> seconds.
>
> I was hoping that since upon TCValidity expiry, mesh would expect fresh
> topology info and would invalidate existing information.

> I observed that irrespective of timers the 1-hop links are retained till
> ETX is 3. (Just that with shorter timers, the value is calculated more
> frequently and this has some effect on the link loss declaration. But
> still could not detect link loss in a second).
With validity = interval you sometimes loose a hello link just because you
missed a single hello !

> Please tell me what values would achieve the link loss detection of 1 or
> 2 seconds.
>
> Also with short TC timers won't the control traffic choke the network ?
> While using OLSR should I resist any specification of the order of 1
> second ?
Of course it will. That's the tradeof.

No, OLSR will work fine with highspeed settings, but you should keep your
network small.

Diplom Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: (spam-protected)
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Maurus Tacke (komm. Vors.), Prof. Dr.-Ing.
Joachim Ender (Stellv.)