[Olsr-users] Suggested OLSR Timer Values

Bhat, Ishwara (spam-protected)
Fri Feb 13 05:55:32 CET 2009

Hi,

I have a question about OLSR timers. My usage mode is such that

1.	All newly joined nodes shall be known within 1 second.
2.	Any node dropped out of network shall be known in 1 second.
(Mandatory for 1-hop links. Other mesh nodes- 1 sec desired; But can be
delayed).
3.	I have only 4 nodes in this mode, mostly in linear topology.

What is the suggested timer values?

HelloInterval 0.5

HelloValidity 0.5

TC Interval  0.5

TCValidity Interval   0.5

When I tested in a 2 node system,

1.	The hellos seem to work well in recognizing the new nodes.
2.	But for loss of any existing node, it appears to take about 5
seconds.

I was hoping that since upon TCValidity expiry, mesh would expect fresh
topology info and would invalidate existing information.

I observed that irrespective of timers the 1-hop links are retained till
ETX is 3. (Just that with shorter timers, the value is calculated more
frequently and this has some effect on the link loss declaration. But
still could not detect link loss in a second).

Please tell me what values would achieve the link loss detection of 1 or
2 seconds.

Also with short TC timers won't the control traffic choke the network ?
While using OLSR should I resist any specification of the order of 1
second ?

Thanks,

Ishwar