[Olsr-users] OLSR v0.5.6-r7 incompatible to v0.5.5 ??

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Dec 8 21:58:01 CET 2009

Am Dienstag 08 Dezember 2009 21:48:25 schrieb Michael Rack:
> v0.5.5 works as expected. I think there was a change how it works.
There were LOTs of changes.

because you are the only person using the "non ETX codepath" (which is totally
useless in normal mesh networks), we never got any kind of feedback about this
code.

> The really confusing thing is, that 1 machine out of 6 works with
> v0.5.6-r7 how it should.
Strange.

> Depends OLSR on the machines time? Because the systemtime is not synced
> as i have seen now.
No. OLSRd only use time for local timers. There are no absolute time values
transmitted over the net. As long as the clocks run similar fast there should
be no problem.

> I attached a putty.log that shows the output in verbose 3.
>
> I tested v0.5.6-r7 on a machine that have no backup-link. For a moment
> of time, i was able to see the routes through the VPN. But olsr was
> removing the routes in the same time.
Is there a reason why you cannot use static routes in your enviroment ?

> I have not much time for testing. Because i have no testing environment
> and have to test things on a production-system.
That's bad... I was thinking about suggesting just running OLSRd with ETX to
see what result you get.

> RESULT: I'm not able to use v0.5.6-r7 on production-system without a fix?
I don't think OLSRd is the right tool for you in an Ethernet enviroment. There
should be much simpler protocolls for this.

Henning Rogge