[Olsr-users] basic routing in a static chain network (old olsrd-implementation)

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Thu Apr 23 20:40:59 CEST 2009

On Donnerstag 23 April 2009 20:19:48 Katrine Stemland Skjelsvik wrote:
> We are using OLSRd as a routing daemon in an emulation environement. For
> reasons of compatability towards the emulator we are using an old version
> of olsrd (0.4.10): if we have a basic static chain like this - 10 nodes in
> a chain:
>
> 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10
>

> Using tcpdump we know that node 2 only hears hello-messages from 1 and 3
> and so on. From the output of olsrd routes are set nicely, that is,
> almost, in some runs we have routes from 1 to 10 via nine hops, but no
> route from 10 - 1 - i.e., it is not necessarily the same routes that are
> missing.
>
> In another setup:
>
> 1 - 3 - 4 - 5
>
> | /     |
>
> 2       6
>

> we can e.g. get a route from 1 to 4 via 3 and from 3 to 5 via 4, but not
> from 1 to 6. All daemons are started at the same time, and as mentioned,
> they only hear hello-messages according to the network setup and there are
> no additional movement.
>

> Any ideas of what we are doing wrong?
You are using a OLSR version several years old.

> Thanks in advance for any helpful comments
I would suggest upgrading your emulator to use at least the recent stable
version of OLSR (0.5.6-r4) or newer.

Henning Rogge