[Olsr-users] basic routing in a static chain network (old olsrd-implementation)

Katrine Stemland Skjelsvik (spam-protected)
Thu Apr 23 20:55:55 CEST 2009

> On Donnerstag 23 April 2009 20:19:48 Katrine Stemland Skjelsvik wrote:
>> We are using OLSRd as a routing daemon in an emulation environement. For
>> reasons of compatability towards the emulator we are using an old version
>> of olsrd (0.4.10): if we have a basic static chain like this - 10 nodes in
>> a chain:
>>
>> 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10
>>

>> Using tcpdump we know that node 2 only hears hello-messages from 1 and 3
>> and so on. From the output of olsrd routes are set nicely, that is,
>> almost, in some runs we have routes from 1 to 10 via nine hops, but no
>> route from 10 - 1 - i.e., it is not necessarily the same routes that are
>> missing.
>>
>> In another setup:
>>
>> 1 - 3 - 4 - 5
>>
>> | /     |
>>
>> 2       6
>>

>> we can e.g. get a route from 1 to 4 via 3 and from 3 to 5 via 4, but not
>> from 1 to 6. All daemons are started at the same time, and as mentioned,
>> they only hear hello-messages according to the network setup and there are
>> no additional movement.
>>

>> Any ideas of what we are doing wrong?
> You are using a OLSR version several years old.
>
>> Thanks in advance for any helpful comments
> I would suggest upgrading your emulator to use at least the recent stable
> version of OLSR (0.5.6-r4) or newer.
>
> Henning Rogge

Thanks for the reply, yes, that's probably the best thing to do,
(however requiring some changes to either the newer version of olsrd or
the emulator - but if that fixes the problem then that's probably worth the effort),
but I was just curious if anyone for some reason knew (and remembers) if this was a
problem with this old version (I've tried to to look for bug
fix/changelogs for the older versions concerning similar problems but without any luck so far).

Katrine Skjelsvik