[Olsr-users] basic routing in a static chain network (old olsrd-implementation)

Katrine Stemland Skjelsvik (spam-protected)
Thu Apr 23 20:19:48 CEST 2009

We are using OLSRd as a routing daemon in an emulation environement. For
reasons of compatability towards the emulator we are using an old version
of olsrd (0.4.10): if we have a basic static chain like this - 10 nodes in
a chain:

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10

Using tcpdump we know that node 2 only hears hello-messages from 1 and 3
and so on. From the output of olsrd routes are set nicely, that is,
almost, in some runs we have routes from 1 to 10 via nine hops, but no
route from 10 - 1 - i.e., it is not necessarily the same routes that are
missing.

In another setup:

1 - 3 - 4 - 5
| /     |
2       6

we can e.g. get a route from 1 to 4 via 3 and from 3 to 5 via 4, but not
from 1 to 6. All daemons are started at the same time, and as mentioned,
they only hear hello-messages according to the network setup and there are
no additional movement.

Any ideas of what we are doing wrong?
Thanks in advance for any helpful comments

Katrine