[Olsr-users] olsrd overhead

L. Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Tue Apr 7 17:03:14 CEST 2009

On Apr 7, 2009, at 4:54 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

>> I think the 1000+ network they did by activating a layer-2 VPN
>> between FF
>> Berlin, Halle and Leipzig had 30 kb/sec protocol traffic.
                            we do see 30kBYTE/sec protocol traffic
And often the settings in the freifunk firmware are tuned to "fast"
olsr.
So it really depends of course on the hello and tc intervals.

> I'm a little confused.  If I remember correctly, the figures given
> by the
> Vienna people were somewhat larger than that.  Could you please
> confirm
> that there's no typo in the figures above?
>

> By the way, what is the best way to measure the amount of protocol
> traffic
> in a live mesh ?  The amount of protocol traffic generated by Babel
> depends
> on where you are in the mesh, so I'd need tools that can measure on
> a wireless interface, not only on a point-to-point tunnel.

> yes, measuring is not going to easy...

in german: "wer misst , misst mist"
(he who measures , measures trash)
(old wisdom/heureka of EE folks ;-) )

I am mostly curious what measurement debate will come out of the mesh
test in Paris.