[Olsr-users] olsrd overhead

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Apr 7 17:06:38 CEST 2009

On Dienstag 07 April 2009 16:54:22 Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > I think the 1000+ network they did by activating a layer-2 VPN between FF
> > Berlin, Halle and Leipzig had 30 kb/sec protocol traffic.
>
> I'm a little confused.  If I remember correctly, the figures given by the
> Vienna people were somewhat larger than that.  Could you please confirm
> that there's no typo in the figures above?
I remember it was 30 kbyte/s.

> By the way, what is the best way to measure the amount of protocol traffic
> in a live mesh ?  The amount of protocol traffic generated by Babel depends
> on where you are in the mesh, so I'd need tools that can measure on
> a wireless interface, not only on a point-to-point tunnel.
I think the layer-2 tunnel would carry the "worst" traffic. I have also done
some measurements in the Vienna network to determine how many packages of a
certain type are going around and got ~500 packages/second... someone has set
REALLY insane timing settings into OLSR, but the next release will contain
code to allow slower timings without fear for longterm routing loops.