[Olsr-users] Rate limiting in olsr networks

Benjamin Henrion (spam-protected)
Thu Jul 3 13:36:17 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 12:40 PM, David Murray
<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question for those that are running large scale OLSR mesh
> networks. I have noticed and read in these lists about a problem whereby
> link congestion can affect the ETX metric. Furthermore, from my
> experience I have also encountered fairness issues where nodes with low
> round trip times to the gateway tend to dominate the bandwidth. Trying
> to test out my network I have been issuing simultaneous iperf sessions
> from the gateway to every network node. This often results in one link
> getting 18 Mbit and another link getting 128k Have others encountered
> similar issues?
>
> I presume that the solution is to rate limit access to the internet. If
> you are employing such a solution I wonder if you could explain how you
> have implemented it.

I think this issue will be resolved with the new MIC metric, which
will take in account the bitrate of the radio. For ethernet links, the
bitrate might be a fixed value.

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-4148403