[Olsr-users] Rate limiting in olsr networks

David Murray (spam-protected)
Thu Jul 3 12:40:15 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have a question for those that are running large scale OLSR mesh
networks. I have noticed and read in these lists about a problem whereby
link congestion can affect the ETX metric. Furthermore, from my
experience I have also encountered fairness issues where nodes with low
round trip times to the gateway tend to dominate the bandwidth. Trying
to test out my network I have been issuing simultaneous iperf sessions
from the gateway to every network node. This often results in one link
getting 18 Mbit and another link getting 128k Have others encountered
similar issues?

I presume that the solution is to rate limit access to the internet. If
you are employing such a solution I wonder if you could explain how you
have implemented it.

Thanks
Dave