[Olsr-users] Broadcast Packets & Windows Routing

Justin Krohn (spam-protected)
Thu Feb 21 19:53:23 CET 2008

Hello,

  I have to questions that I have not been able to find an answer for.  I am
attempting to use Freifunk based routers (running OLSR) to create a mobile,
ad-hoc vehicular network.  I am planning on writing an application to run on
the routers, but am concerned about how to figure out what other systems
running the software are around.  Typically on LANs and WLANs I would just
send out a broadcast packet to a waiting piece of software on another
computer which would respond with information on what services the system
was running, but thus far all of my broadcasts have been filtered by the
OLSR daemon.  Is there a specific type of broadcast packet/method to get a
broadcast message out to all nodes/clients?
  Also, I have been doing some testing with the Windows OLSR daemon
available at http://download.berlin.freifunk.net/sven-ola/binaries/ , and
while using it I have been able to easily connect/communicate with the
various nodes in the mesh network, the computer does not act as a multi-hop
node, meaning that while it will connect across multiple nodes to
communicate with other nodes, it does not allow other nodes to use it to
communicate with other nodes.
  I am a relative newbie to OLSR, so if these questions are exceedingly
simple/stupid I apologize, and would appreciate any help the mailing list
can give. Thanks,

Justin