[Olsr-users] Broadcast Packets & Windows Routing

Erik Tromp (spam-protected)
Thu Feb 21 20:27:03 CET 2008

Hello Justin,

Broadcast packets are by default not forwarded by the OLSR daemon. For that, you need the BMF plugin. It comes standard
with OLSR but you have to enable it in the configuration file.

In the unpacked OSLR directory structure, cd to lib/bmf and read README_BMF.txt for more information. For basic
operation, including the forwarding of broadcast packets, add the following lines to your olsrd.conf file:

LoadPlugin "olsrd_bmf.so.1.5.2"
{
}

Between the curly braces you might want to add the routers' network interfaces into the local LAN (the interfaces of
which you are advertising the IP subnets as HNA). Let's say your Hna4 section of your config file looks like this:

Hna4
{
   192.168.2.0  255.255.255.0
   192.168.3.0  255.255.255.0
}

Suppose the IP subnet 192.168.2.0  255.255.255.0 is on eth2 and 192.168.3.0  255.255.255.0 is on eth3. Then the BMF
should be configured like this:

LoadPlugin "olsrd_bmf.so.1.5.2"
{
    PlParam     "NonOlsrIf"  "eth2"
    PlParam     "NonOlsrIf"  "eth3"
}

BMF works nice with the broadcast-based flavour of NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Just run the BMF-enabled OLSR daemon in all your
routers and your windows machines will see each other - I've seen it working :-) BMF will translate the IP-broadcast
addresses inside the IP packets to cater for the different IP subnets you have inside, or connected to, your ad-hoc
network.

Note that the BMF plugin is only available on Linux; you will not be able to use BMF on a Windows-based (OLSR) router.
But of course, running on a Linux-based router, BMF will forward the broadcast packets generated by Windows computers.

Regards,
Erik

  _____