[Olsr-users] Using multiple radio cards

Benjamin Henrion (spam-protected)
Thu Aug 7 18:57:43 CEST 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Derek C <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> On multiple radio cards:  I'm new to AdHoc networking but I know that
> AdHoc networks don't hunt for APs over different frequencies like the
> typical AP->STA type setup.
>
> I was hoping to have a dual [backbone] radio setup with one omni antenna
> and one directional antenna per node to try to allow for links with
> increased range over omni -> omni arrangements.
>
> It does seem counter-productive to me to use the same frequency for two
> individual radio cards - surely the interference would cause major
> slow-downs in communications?  (even more so than in a repeating single
> radio card setup due to re-transmissions?).  Funny though because I think
> I've read over people's setup with two radio cards set to the same
> frequency.
>
> Does anyone have any experience or opinions on dual radio setups?

I should publish soon my findings about multiple radio.

Basically the more seperation in frequencies the better.

If you want to use 2 different channels in the 2.4 band, try to use
ch1 and ch13 or example, or at least non-overlapping channels (ex:
1-6-11).

If you are using omnis, try also to have Hpol and Vpol for better seperation.

In the 5gh band, use 5.2 and 5.8 in order to maximise the seperation.

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-4148403