[Olsr-users] Using multiple radio cards

Derek C (spam-protected)
Thu Aug 7 19:55:45 CEST 2008

Hi Benjamin,

I'm going to be using 802.11a 5Ghz (one planer & one omni).  I have a
separate 2.4 Ghz card & omni for bandwidth supply to customer notebooks
(so three cards total per node).

The problem with any separate frequencies at all is that, as far as I can
see, it hobbles adhoc mesh networking altogether in that one node won't
see any neighbors that are not on its assigned frequency.

How did you approach this with multiple radio cards and frequencies?

thanks for any information

Derek

On Thu, August 7, 2008 5:57 pm, Benjamin Henrion wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Derek C <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>
>> Hi again,
>>

>> On multiple radio cards:  I'm new to AdHoc networking but I know that
>> AdHoc networks don't hunt for APs over different frequencies like the
>> typical AP->STA type setup.
>>
>> I was hoping to have a dual [backbone] radio setup with one omni
>> antenna and one directional antenna per node to try to allow for links
>> with increased range over omni -> omni arrangements.
>>
>> It does seem counter-productive to me to use the same frequency for two
>>  individual radio cards - surely the interference would cause major
>> slow-downs in communications?  (even more so than in a repeating single
>>  radio card setup due to re-transmissions?).  Funny though because I
>> think I've read over people's setup with two radio cards set to the same
>>  frequency.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience or opinions on dual radio setups?
>>

> I should publish soon my findings about multiple radio.
>

> Basically the more seperation in frequencies the better.
>

> If you want to use 2 different channels in the 2.4 band, try to use
> ch1 and ch13 or example, or at least non-overlapping channels (ex: 1-6-11).
>

> If you are using omnis, try also to have Hpol and Vpol for better
> seperation.
>
> In the 5gh band, use 5.2 and 5.8 in order to maximise the seperation.
>

> --
> Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
> FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-4148403

Derek C
In Ireland