[OLSR-users] duplicate IP behaviour

Dan Flett (spam-protected)
Sun Feb 19 06:17:18 CET 2006

Hi all,

I strongly believe that OLSR with some sort of autoconf capability would be
a very powerful routing protocol.  A DHCP-based implementation would be good
for IPv4 networks, and I'd be keen to see Andreas develop some code along
these lines.

I recently re-acquainted myself with IPv6's ability to self-assign and
renumber addresses.  IPv6 looks to be a very powerful and versatile way to
run a decentralised, autoconfiguring, ad-hoc network.

The beauty of IPv6 is that you can renumber whole subnets easily - good for
situations where two mesh clouds merge and node addresses (which had been
self-assigned in isolation) in the clouds overlap each other - you can
renumber the whole cloud with no problems.

With a self-configuring IPv6 system, people who own OLSR nodes wouldn't
necessarily have to know anything about how IPv6 works.  The routers can
generate their own addresses and hand out addresses to new routers
automatically.  IPv6 is used for routing purposes, and the addressing system
can be fully controlled (down to the level of individual host addresses) or
partially controlled (down to regional subnet level) by a central network
administration.

The problem arises when you want to allow IPv4-only nodes access to the
network.  But this isn't really as bad a problem as you might think.  The
Freifunk Firmware uses DHCP and NAT to allow non-routing nodes access.
These non-routing nodes can't be seen by the rest of the network because
they are hidden behind their local router's NAT - the DHCP subnet isn't
usually HNA-advertised.  A similar thing could be achieved with IPv6 - non
routing nodes could be given an IPv4 address via DHCP running on the closest
router.  That router then does IPv4-to-IPv6 translation so those non-routing
nodes can access the rest of the network.  Something like DNS and/or the
Nameservice plugin could be used so that the non-routing nodes don't need to
speak IPv6 - they just identify nodes on the network by name and they rely
on their local router to resolve the name to an IPv6 address.

Cheers,

Dan

View my blog:
http://freenetjazz.blogspot.com