[OLSR-users] OLSRD triggering too many modprobes

Ignacio García Pérez (spam-protected)
Tue Apr 18 10:03:25 CEST 2006

Andreas Tønnesen escribió:
> Nacho,
>
> I've added two new keywords to the config file. One global:
>       NicChgsPollInt[0.1-100.0]
>              This option sets the interval, in seconds, that olsrd
> will check the configured
>              interfaces for changes in configuration.  Defaults to 2.5.
> And one pr. interface:
>              AutoDetectChanges [yes|no]
>
>              Olsrd can autodetect changes in interface configurations(
> polling on the inter-
>              val  set  by NicChgsPollInt ). This is Enabled by default
> but can be turned off
>              pr. NIC to save CPU cycles.
>
> This should be enough to help you out as far as I can see.
Thank you. I had already implemented the variable olsrd.conf file
solution. Seems to work fine. When a new interface is plugged in (USB
WiFi stick, for example), a new olsrd.conf file is generated and a HUP
signal is sent to the daemon so it re-reads the configuration and
reconfigures the interfaces.

HOWEVER, it is quite a dirty solution, since I have to first collect the
names of each interface and use sed to modify a temporary olsrd.conf
file. It would be MUCH easier if the olsrd configuration file format had
a "directory include" directive.

With your solution, I would just disable change detection and send a HUP
signal whenever a new network interface is plugged. However, this still
has a problem: when the olsrd daemon reconfigures, it will probe all
interfaces causing quite a lot of modprobes. Better than happening every
2.5 seconds, though. I think these configuration options are anyway
needed and may be useful in other situations.