[OLSR-users] Fast Roaming Nodes

John Gorkos (spam-protected)
Wed Apr 5 20:26:08 CEST 2006

I'm no expert, but my back-of-the-envelope calculations for 100 meters/second
give me a doppler shift of 31.81 MHz at 2450Mhz at 0 degrees offset.  There's
not a chipset in the world that can find a spread spectrum signal 31MHz off
center frequency in <1 second, especially given that it's going from 31.81
MHz UP as it approaches to 31.81MHz DOWN as it goes past.  Unless you're ONLY
using channel 6, you're going to be out of band on your transmitter.  If you
do only use channel 6, you're going to self interfere.
At 900Mhz, doppler is still 11Mhz, and Canopy isn't that good.
Even if you stood the antennas a good 500 meters off the tracks and used a 60
degree sector antenna, you've still got a delta of 15MHz.  Plus, 802.11 can't
associate and disassociate to the radios that fast.

Try going and talking to the NASCAR guys or the Indy car guys about the
techniques they use to get 802.11, and full motion video off the race cars.
Hint:  if the cars weren't going in a rough circle around the antenna, it
wouldn't work.

John Gorkos