[OLSR-users] Subnetting an OLSR mesh

Sven-Ola Tuecke (spam-protected)
Wed Nov 16 10:44:10 CET 2005

Dan,

our pointopoints run in the same address space as all other nodes. To keep
firewall rules simple - catch them all with a "-s 10(4).0.0.0/8". They use a
narrower netmask just in case the olsrd gets lost (and no host routes are
there). The PHY used for transport is unimportant here - means: some of our
pointopoints are simply ethernet wires.

If olsrd is not present, there will be 2 net devices both with same netmask
in one box - so it's unpredictable on which iface a packet will be sent. Its
impossible in this case to contact the box from it's direct neigbour. That
is the main reason to use a narrow netmask on pointopoint ifaces. Remember:
Routes for Ifaces with a narrower netmask are placed on higher routing
presedence - i.e. that pointopoint route will function even if no olsrd
hostroutes are present.

LG Sven-Ola