[OLSR-users] LQ Routing and 802.11b Link Speed

Holger Mauermann (spam-protected)
Wed Jun 15 10:09:28 CEST 2005

Holger Mauermann wrote:
> What about measuring not only the packet loss, but also the round
> trip time to the neighbors?

Forget my last post. The RTT depends on the link load and leads to very
frequent route changes...

However, recently I read something about Packet-Pair based bandwidth
estimation and Expected Transmission Time (ETT) and it looks very
interesting. Consider the following real life example with 3 links:

A-B: 24 Mbps, ETX 1.0
A-C:  1 Mbps, ETX 1.5
B-C: 11 Mbps, ETX 1.0

To reach C from A olsr currenty prefers the short, bad 1 Mbps link. With
ETT it could use the two fast links A-B and B-C because the total ETT is
only 2.5 ms instead of 15 ms:

ETT = ETX * S / B       S = Packet size, B = Bandwidth

A-B: ETT 0.8 ms (S = 1 KByte, B = 1200 kByte/s)
A-C: ETT  15 ms (S = 1 KByte, B =  100 kByte/s)
B-C: ETT 1.7 ms (S = 1 KByte, B =  600 kByte/s)

Any ideas if this could be implemented in olsr?

--
\-- Holger Mauermann
  \-- (spam-protected)