[OLSR-users] LQ Routing and 802.11b Link Speed

Bruno Randolf (spam-protected)
Wed Jun 15 10:33:58 CEST 2005

hi holger!

this sounds like a good improvement to the current LQ algorithm! but i think
it's not so easy to implement on top of the current mechanisms we have. to
get the expected transmission times we would have to send unicast packets to
each neighbor (the current HELLO packets are broadcast with the lowest basic
rate) which can result in a lot of additionally used bandwidth. we (well,
actually thomas ;)) tried something similar before in an attempt to measure
the round-trip time (RTT) - if i recall correctly the big problem was that
the RTT varied considerably depending on the speed and utilization of the
CPU.

another option may be to read the current rate (physical link speed) from the
wlan driver and multiply the ETX with that value. but this approach is also
flawed because the driver will send packets to each destination node with a
different rate, some drivers may even retry packets with multiple rates (say
1. attempt: 54Mbps, 2. attempt: 36Mbps 3. attpemt: 24Mbps 4. attempt: 6Mbps).
drivers could expose this information to userspace programs in some way, but
then we are bound to specific drivers and specific operating systems.

could you send a link to the ETT paper?

bruno