[OLSR-users] Getting started with OLSR

Mike McKay (spam-protected)
Wed Jul 20 09:36:39 CEST 2005

Thanks so much for the help.

I basically figured out your friefunk OLSR settings from here:
> <http://www.sredzki40.de/NetzwerkDiagram.html>
> (blue net == fully routet, no NAT, fixed IPs; red is  dhcp IPs, behind
> NAT)

and that was enough for me to get it going. It now basically works like
my dream mesh network. Now I just have to test the sort of range that I
can get and make sure it works in the real world. It should be lots of fun.

>>2) Assuming yes on 1, how do I put roll out a simple but effective
>
> OLSR deployment?
> Good Question, i haven't found any better solution so far.

Now that OLSR on Friefunk is working, I am happy to stick with it until
something noticeably superior and easier comes along. The main reason I
asked is because CUWiN just announced a 1.0 release recently. I am not
sure what the differences are - and at the moment they don't have WRT54G
firmware - but it is something to keep in mind. This article:
http://wifinetnews.com/archives/003989.html
says "A-HSLS is more useful for Community Wireless Networking purposes,
while TBRPF and OLSR are more useful for major telecoms." But I don't
really care if OLSR satisfies our needs. And believe me - it doesn't
take much to improve the status quo in Malawi.

>>3) What am I doing wrong with OLSR Switch, and how do I debug?
>
> Turn up the debug-level in the switch app to see whats going on.

Maybe I will go back to OLSR on the client machines at some point, as it
seems like an easy way to expand the mesh - but I like the WRT54G on
OLSR plus DHCP for clients setup. Simple elegant and so far it seems to
work!

I am going to try and capture the start to finish process in my blog so
the next guy will find it that much easier. I'll post a link here when
its finished.

Thanks again for your help

Mike