[OLSR-users] Getting started with OLSR

Florian Walther (spam-protected)
Tue Jul 19 15:47:04 CEST 2005

Hi Mike,

I basically do the same with my neighborhood. based on WRTs with
freifunk firmware.
What i do for clients without OLSR Software is give them IP/Netmask
and default route via dhcp from the WRT.
each of my WRTs has a own /26 (64 IPs) for his own.
48 of them i give out via dhcp, the rest is fixed IPs i give out to
ppl on request.
One IP is for the WRT (normally the lowest).
A network map of that setup is at:
<http://www.sredzki40.de/NetzwerkDiagram.html>
(blue net == fully routet, no NAT, fixed IPs; red is  dhcp IPs, behind
NAT)
A Topology Map is at: <http://www.sredzki40.de/topology.html>

So Clients do not need OLSR Software if you offer and they use dhcp.
But if so they are NATed on the WRT they are connected to. (But you
can turn that off also to NAT everyony on the Gateway or nearby)

> Questions: 1) Am I on the right track? Is this the best
> practice/hacker/cheap
way to build a community network?
I guess so ;-).
> 2) Assuming yes on 1, how do I put roll out a simple but effective
OLSR deployment?
Good Question, i haven't found any better solution so far.
> 3) What am I doing wrong with OLSR Switch, and how do I debug?
Turn up the debug-level in the switch app to see whats going on.

I can also send you some WRT Config examples if you like to. But right
now i'm not at home, so wait a few days for those.

hope that helps
/~flow