[OLSR-users] Getting started with OLSR

aaron (spam-protected)
Tue Jul 19 15:49:25 CEST 2005

hi mike!

(...)

> I would like to build a wireless mesh network to cover my city
> (Lilongwe), and perhaps take it further if possible. But first I would
> like to start with my neighborhood.
cool :)

> I have read the Wireless Hacks book, and done plenty of googling, but I
> would love to hear some suggestions on what are the must read docs -
> they must be out there, because I don't quite have my head around it all
> yet.

it takes time and experience but it works :)

> On my 3 WRT54Gs I have installed the Friefunk firmware, which is based
> on OpenWRT, and has OLSR ready to run on it. I managed to plug in via
> ethernet two laptops to two different WRT54Gs with one acting as an
> internet gateway and it worked - I could surf the web from both laptops.
> This was pretty easy and very cool - but I had pretty much just followed
> the instructions here:
> http://csircoin.blogspot.com/2005/07/few-tips-with-olsr-on-openwrt-freifunk.html
>
> This is all good but I want more. My perfect mesh would work something
> like this:
>
> Take a bunch of Freifunked WRT54Gs and disperse them around the
> neighborhood, preferable on rooftops with antennas. Some of these would
> be connected to VSAT systems and therefore provide a route to the web.
> Then whoever wants to jump on the mesh, just turns on their machine and
> connects to the ad-hoc network supplied by the mesh.
>
> Is this possible? So far, I get the feeling that every client on the

YES!

> mesh needs to be running the OLSR software, unless that client is
> connecting via one of the ethernet interfaces on a WRT54G. This makes
> sense I guess, but I just want to make sure I am not missing something.
> I am able to connect to the ad-hoc network with my windows laptop, using
> the builtin wireless software (i.e. no OLSR), but then I am unable to
> ping anything - including the router that it connected to.

sure, because OLSR distributes the routes.

> If I have to install the OLSR software on every client, then that is
> fine. I have installed the OLSR Switch software on my box, but I haven't
That's what i prefer to do :)

> successfully discovered any routes with it, let alone shared a
> connection or browsed the web.

should be prossible. If you are more specific then maybe someone here
has an idea why its not working.

> Questions:
> 1) Am I on the right track? Is this the best practice/hacker/cheap way
> to build a community network?
YES YES YES :)

> 2) Assuming yes on 1, how do I put roll out a simple but effective OLSR
> deployment?

In Vienna we created an automatic build environment.
people come to us with a linksys and we enter their data. Then on our webpage
there is a button "build firmware" and it gets built.
Then the user gets an email with an URL. he/she then downloads the firmware
and flashes it onto the linksys. voila! instant turn on mesh routing.

so far very effective.

> 3) What am I doing wrong with OLSR Switch, and how do I debug?

there could be many reasons. if you have more specific info (i.e.
IP setup etc) then it is easier to analyze.

> Thanks in advance - I am very excited about the possibilities here.

sure :)