[OLSR-users] does there exists any IPv6 address auto-conf plugin orsoftware

Jens Nachtigall (spam-protected)
Fri Feb 11 22:37:39 CET 2005

Hi aaron,

> I disagree with that.
> There are enough /64 ipv6 addr for every square meter on this planet.
> So as far as I can recall, everyone should have "his" or "her" /64
> net. Hence: 128-64 = 64 > 48
>
> so for me the recipe would be:
> 1) get a /64 prefix from my provider
> 2) share the /64 with the whole MANET
> 3) agree on a common prefix of 64-48 = 16 bits
> 4) just copy the 48 bits MAC into the remaining parts.
>
> so no radvd needed in this case.

Of course, you are right with that. But thats not what I would call
autoconfiguration, because there is one step I need to do manually
beforehand. That is getting to know the /64 prefix of the particular
manet (or one agrees on to use the same prefix in all manets, so that
there would be a well known one).

So if I start dhcp, then I magically get an IP addr. If I "start" IPv6
in a manet, then I need to get the prefix information from somewhere
beforehand (which is a problem if a manet is really ad-hoc, or I am
just a visitor in vienna who sees the essid ;) and I just want to pop
into the manet). I would have had to get that prefix info beforehand
from somewhere.

kind regards,

jens