[OLSR-users] LQ, HNA and NAT

Thomas Lopatic (spam-protected)
Wed Feb 9 16:04:36 CET 2005

Hi Stefan,

Even if the NAT router allowed non-SYN packets to add an entry to its
internal state table (some do this to handle re-starts gracefully), we'd
still have a problem in case of a gateway change as from the Internet
host's perspective we'd then have a different IP address and probably
also a different port number for existing TCP connections or UDP sessions.

The proposed solution for this is gateway tunneling, i.e. establishing a
tunnel to the gateway of your choice and making the default route point
to the tunnel.

This used to be a feature in the Linux version way back and I tried to
mimick this behaviour on a standard Windows installation (i.e. no need
to install additional drivers) by reverse engineering Microsoft's
ipinip.sys driver. Unfortunately, Windows 2000 Advanced Server was the
only platform on which I was able to get this to work. Moreover, the
tunneling driver is now being phased out by Microsoft.

We're now looking for a cross-platform solution. Maybe some kind of
integration of olsrd and OpenVPN makes sense. We haven't put much
thought into this, though.

-Thomas