[OLSR-users] LQ, HNA and NAT

Stefan Sayer (spam-protected)
Wed Feb 9 15:43:49 CET 2005

Hello,

I have one other question related to LQ routing: if LQ routing is also
used for an internet-gateway HNA, mostly NAT is used. Now iirc for tcp a
NAT usually creates a soft-state for the connection with the first SYN
coming from inside (the NATed network). Now if the HNA route happens to
change during a connection because the link quality changes, and another
HNA with another NAT is used, all further outgoing packets may not get
through to destination as there is no connection entry in the other NAT.
Is that correct or am I missing something here?

If that is true, it would maybe make sense to change the HNA routes very
slowly in order to not break too much connections.

In practice here in Berlins olsr-net I think this has not been tested
because the version of the fff that most people use here still does
calculate HNA on hop count.

...but I might be completely wrong here as well.
Stefan